|If you ride the New York City subway, you're most likely familiar with this map, but how well do you know this city? |
Take our quick quiz below and see how much of a New Yorker you've become!
New York Language Center students spend varying amounts of time in New York. Some are here for as little as 2 weeks or less, while others stay in New York for a year or longer.
If you've been in town for a while or if you've been here before, you probably know some basic facts about New York City. Of course, this is a good thing as the more you know the city, the more you'll enjoy it and get the most out of your stay here.
So how well do you know this town? Take this quick quiz and see. If you ace it, you can call yourself a New Yorker! Well, at least that's what we think. :-)
- ACE a test - do very well on a test; get a 100%
You'll find the answers below, but no cheating! Good luck!
- Which river runs between New York and New Jersey?
- What is the name of the oldest bridge in New York City?
- Which river does this oldest bridge in NYC stretch across?
- What is a borough, and how many boroughs does NYC have?
- In which borough is Soho located?
- What does Tribeca stand for?
- How much does it cost to get on the Staten Island Ferry?
- In which borough is Coney Island found?
- Where is NYC's Alphabet City?
- In which borough are JFK and LaGuardia airports located?
Well, how well did you do? If you got all of the 10 questions right (without scrolling down to check the answers), you can officially call yourself a New Yorker! You must know your way around the city quite well and feel comfortable spending time here. Way to go!
- WAY TO GO! - congratulations!
As a real New Yorker, can you think of other questions we should include in future tests about NYC? Let us know in the comment section below.
Thanks for taking the test. We hope you enjoyed it. :-)
Here are the answers:
1. THE HUDSON RIVER 2. THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE 3. THE EAST RIVER 4. A BOROUGH IS A SECTION OR AREA OF A CITY; NYC HAS 5 BOROUGHS. 5. MANHATTAN 6. TRIANGLE BELOW CANAL 7. IT'S FREE! 8. BROOKLYN 9. ALPHABET CITY ARE AVENUES A, B, C, & D IN THE LOWER EAST SIDE OF MANHATTAN, EAST OF FIRST AVENUE. 10. QUEENS
Joe Yu, ESL instructor