|The view from the second floor of Whole Foods Market on Union Square, where |
Tom & Igor decided to meet for their language exchange. Both of them think the
Empire State Building seen all the way from Midtown makes the view spectacular.
Our story continues as we look at more examples of gerunds and infinitives. On our last episode, Tom got on the Staten Island Ferry to accompany Maria, who had to head home and get ready for work. They had just participated in the free yoga session at Bryant Park and stopped by a cafe for some tea and coffee afterwards. We begin this episode with Tom heading back to Manhattan.
If you missed the first two episodes, you can click on the following titles: The First Couple of Dates; After Yoga. You can also check out the Introduction for an overview of gerunds and infinitives.
OUR STORY CONTINUES: Language Exchange
[Igor made a small mistake here. He should've said: Do you want TO MEET for 2 hours?]
Igor explained that Joe had been ADVISING students TO RECORD themselves reading their exercises and TO LISTEN to the recordings when they're on the train or waiting in line somewhere. IT'S AN EASY WAY TO REVIEW their lessons, and listening to their own voices speak correct English can be powerful. Tom thought it made a lot of sense, so he STARTED RECORDING himself reading his Russian exercises and he had been listening to himself every chance he got.
"Ok. That sounds good," Igor responded. "I'll grab something to eat and I'll meet you upstairs."
"Alrighty. See you soon," Tom said.
... to be continued.
TIME TO PRACTICE:
- I'm always EAGER _____________ on vacation.
- I WANT ___________ if I have some free time.
- I've THOUGHT OF _________ even if my family doesn't agree.
- I always get upset AFTER ____________.
- I NEED ___________ if I want to succeed.
- A teacher once ADVISED me __________.
- Swimming IS AN EASY WAY ___________.
- He suddenly STARTED ____________ at the party.
- I CAN'T RESIST ___________ when I'm angry.
- I WASTE too much TIME ___________ these days.
- A friend URGED me _____________.
- I've LEARNED _____________ when I'm giving a presentation.
- I always PLAN ON ___________ when I go to a party.
- I think IT'S DIFFICULT ___________ when you are in a foreign country.
- My teachers used to ENCOURAGE me _____________.
- I always want to KEEP _____________.
- I always LOSE too much precious TIME ____________ on the weekends.
Choose 2 or 3 sentences above, fill in the blanks with your own ideas, and share them with us! You can post your sentences below, at NYLC's page on Facebook, or at NYLangCenter on Twitter. We hope to hear from you! Until next time. :-)
-- Joe Yu, ESL instructor