Wednesday, September 5, 2018

NYLC Students win New York State TESOL Writing Contest for Third Year In a Row!


New York Language Center is pleased to say that for the third year in a row, two NYLC students under the guidance of their instructors have submitted winning essays for the New York State TESOL writing contest: http://www.nystesol.org/studentprojects.html

Under the leadership of Ania Neckakov, Director of Studies, we are thrilled to announce that we have a winner and an honorable mention this year again for the New York State TESOL conference!

First place winner of the 2017–2018 NYS TESOL essay contest for the University and Adult Education category is Brendan Gahan's student, Chiara Bisignani (NYLC, Midtown). Congratulations to both of them! Honorable mention of the 2017–2018 NYS TESOL essay contest for University and Adult Education category has been awarded to Tami Savir's student Alioune Sylla (Jackson Heights).

Both essays will be also published in the conference program book, which students will receive copies of. All winners will be invited to attend the student luncheon during the NYS TESOL annual conference on November 2, 2018 at the Marriott in Albany, New York. At the luncheon, they will be recognized and presented with certificates and an award of $100.00 for the winner. The instructors are invited as well.

NYLC thanks those organizers of the contest and is so proud of our faculty and students.

Scroll down to read the the award winning essay!

A CULTURAL EXPERIENCE THAT INFLUENCED MY LIFE (CHIARA BISIGNANI – NYLC) 


Every human being’s personality, heart, brain, history and past are built by memories. There is a shape, a particular shape, which distinguishes each of us. That is the reason we are different, unique and special; we are the result of the experiences we have, how we grew up, how our parents raised us, how much we have suffered and how much pain has touched our hearts. I think there is no time to grow up and change ourselves into a new person. We never stop learning, never. Every single moment we gain life from outside without even knowing it. That is the power of life. We learn something new that influences who we are. Every day we have an experience, no matter how small, that helps us to grow. After all, is the life itself a big, amazing experience? Sometimes we think that each day is always the same boring day, the identical routine that almost kills our happiness. However, this is not true! The truth is that every day is diverse because something different happens and shapes us. It is like the sunset, we think that it is always the same sunset, the usual color of the sky, but actually every sunset is special. Just try to look beyond and you will discover many shades of color. 

Now, let’s talk about huge experiences, like a trip. No matter the place, traveling changes you for better or worse, but I am sure that mostly it changes you for better. I want to share my personal experience here in New York City.
Before I came, I was very scared about this new adventure and not sure if I could stay in another country alone for a long time. I love my mother so much and I was worried about the distance between us. Before New York City there was just my little town in Italy and my usual life. I was immature, I didn’t know what to do in my life and I was also sad and unsatisfied. I had so many dreams in my heart, but I was so scared that I couldn't do anything to make them true. The biggest dream of my life was to come to New York City since I was very young. My huge desire was so far away, but so close to my heart. But there was a big problem, I was terrified about taking a plane to the USA. It was a nightmare to me, but I wanted so hard to achieve my dream that I finally flew. Yes, I flew in many ways because taking that plane I felt free, as the bird's freedom, free from all my fears, not just the fear of flying. From the moment I took that plane, my life changed. I changed small things like trying a new kind of food that I never had eaten before. I learned perseverance, going almost every day to the gym. I learned how to adapt, living with people from everywhere. This is one of the biggest things that I gained, because I could appreciate different cultures and values and it was like being in many countries in the same place at the same time. Amazing! Now I can say I am a better woman. I am a new me, because when you leave your home, you will never be the same person when you come back. You are not leaving just your home, but also yourself, the person who you have been until that moment. It is not easy to leave, because your heart knows that you are going to change forever. Leaving means growing and modifying; new experiences need adaptation and spirit of adventure. In every place of the world, there is a wind of change that brushes your soul for the rest of your life. Imagine yourself like a big box and this box is filled with new things such as a new language, new people, new food, new habits, new weather, new culture, new lifestyle… and I could continue over and over again…

When you are in a new country, it is like entering into other people’s house and you are welcome, but you have to respect who lives there. Day by day you become part of this new world…yes! A new world! Because sometimes an experience is so big and stunning that you live a new life in a new world. It can sound weird and excessive, but that is what I think. The world is made with lots of smaller worlds. But how can a travel change us? How does an experience remodel our essence? We are like filters or sponges that absorb moments, exactly as a sponge absorbs water and any of these moments are fundamental to model our nature. We are what we do and the experiences give us the colors, the features and all that is what we are. Imagine a painting and its painter… every person is as a painting and any event is the painter. Artists have a particular and different way to paint. There is who prefers dark colors, who is an expert in the use of pastels, soft and light colors and who creates strong and powerful drawings. Life is art and people are masterpieces. There are very fragile souls; some are depressed, sad and even so attached to life that they are afraid to live. An experience can make you feel reborn and it helps you to be a better man or woman, stronger and wiser. Something happens for nourishing your soul and giving you freedom and knowledge about life. You learn how to appreciate small things around you and to understand the real and deep meaning of existence and how beautiful and intense it is to just breath. We are all lucky and we own an inestimable gift that we should bless every beginning of a new day. 

CHIARA BISIGNANI – NYLC SCHOOL I want to thank my great teacher Gahan Brendan for the support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment