Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving idioms!

Thanksgiving lunch on Thanksgiving Eve in Midtown. Students, faculty, & staff enjoyed huge helpings of turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, veggies, & cornbread!

On Thanksgiving Day, people in the U.S. take a couple of days off to be with family and friends. We travel, watch football games, think about shopping for the holidays, but most of all, we gather to cook and eat a huge Thanksgiving meal. Here are some vocabulary that you might encounter if you find yourself at Thanksgiving dinner.
  

ROAST  (cook meat or vegetables in the oven)
  • Who roasted the turkey? It's so juicy and delicious!
  • I know! The roasted carrots & sweet potatoes are so good, too!
 
BEING GRATEEFUL  (being thankful)
  • What are you most grateful for?
  • I'm most grateful for being with friends and family for the holidays.
 
HAVE SECONDS  (get more food)
BE STUFFED  (be very full)
  • Would you like to have seconds? We have plenty of food.
  • No, thanks. Maybe later. I'm stuffed!
 

Enjoying a Thanksgiving meal. I wonder if anyone went for SECONDS. I bet they did! :-)
 
LEFTOVERS  (extra food that wasn't eaten)
  • Look at all the leftovers!
  • I know! We'll be having these for lunch the next two weeks.
 
PIG OUT   (eat a lot)
  • Are you hungry?
  • I am starving. I haven't eaten all day, and I'm ready to pig out!
 
EAT LIKE A BIRD   (eat very little)
  • Why are you eating like a bird?
  • Well, I've been tasting the food all day, so I'm not hungry right now.
 
A PIECE OF CAKE  (easy)
  • So was it hard to cook a huge meal for everyone?
  • No, not at all. I love to cook, so it was a piece of cake.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone! Enjoy your Thanksgiving meal, and make sure to ask for SECONDS if you want more turkey! :-)


-- Joe Yu, English language instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment