I know that most of us in NY are snowed in at home today, so as a staff member of NYLC, I wanted to share a recipe from my mother country, China.
Chinese pepper-steak! It does not require many ingredients, and it's fast and easy to make. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 lb. round steak, sliced in thin diagonal pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lg. green peppers, sliced
- 1/2 c. celery, sliced
- 1/2 c. beef consommé
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. water
- Beef consommé
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- Sear round steak in olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, celery and 1/2 c beef consommé. Cover pan, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch which has been mixed in 2 tbsp. water. Stir rapidly and add consommé for smooth sauce.
- Add soy sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over boiled rice.