Monday, July 19, 2010

Elena's English Expressions

Elena, one of NYLC's teachers, asks in this week's note, "Elena's English Expressions": 

Who can guess what "funny money" means in this sentence?

It took a while for the bank teller to spot the funny money in the man's deposit. 

Comment on this post with your answers!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out the previous "Elena's English Expressions" posts here or read them below:

6/21/2010
A: Hi, Leo!
B:Oh,hi Jenny. Have you heard the latest news about our neighbors Mary and Jack?
A: No, I haven't. What's new with the two of them?
B: They finally decided to tie the knot.

Tie the knot: to get married.



6/14/2010
Enough is enough! You've already borrowed seven thousand dollars. You won't be able to pay her back!
Enough is enough!: it is time to stop(asking for $$$).


6/4/2010
I'm sure Elisabeth will be here in a few minutes; please don't make a fuss .
make a fuss: complain or cry


5/28/2010
The teacher gave Tommy a couple of extra things to do just to keep him on his toes..
on his toes: alert,ready,focused


5/24/2010
So the boss is giving us a raise ? That's music to my ears.
music to my ears: a message that makes me very happy, very good news.


5/14/2010
I wish I could go to the movies with you guys, but I've got to hit the books.
hit the books: study

5/7/2010
Would you keep an eye on my daughter for me while I am on vacation
keep an eye on someone : check him/her with regularity.

4/30/2010
Tommy was dressed to kill for his job interview the other day.
dressed to kill: looking very sharp, being dressed extremely well.



4/16/2010
" I don't know what to do about this guy...He's got me heads over heels."


4/9/2010
Have you met Elena yet? She's one of NYLC's English teachers.
You might have heard this IDIOM; do you know what it means?
A:Do you want to know what happened to me last night? 

B:Yes, tell me about it. I'm all ears.





What do you think "funny money" means in this sentence?

2 comments:

  1. I think that funny money is like money that is fake and was falsificated by some illegal group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, Ricardo...well done!

    Meaning =money that has been printed by criminals, or which has come from dishonest activities / counterfeit money

    ReplyDelete